Campfire skillet Pizza
Pizza is a family favorite for just about everyone. If you don’t like pizza. I am sorry. Life must be so sad for you… Here is a way to bring that classic treat to the campsite. Bring your favorite toppings and pre-made sauce in your cooler. Premade pizza dough keeps it simple. Prep your toppings. Put it all in an iron skillet with an iron skillet and in about 10 minutes and you are ready to eat!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 5-10 minutes or until the crust is brown and the cheese has melted
Servings: That depends on how big you skillet is… Typically 4-6
Ingredients (Amounts may vary…It’s pizza, not rocket surgery)
Oil, for coating griddle
Prepared pizza dough
Yellow onion, sliced
Mushrooms, sliced (For those who like fungi on you pizza)
Green bell pepper, sliced
1. Prepare a bed of coals.
2. Preheat pan and lid (Tip: if it’s hot enough to sauté your veggies then you are ready).
3. Sautee veggies if you want to.
4. Oil the skillet. Roll out pizza dough and place on skillet, press the edge to the sides of the pan the form the crust. Don’t get burned. If you do, read my blog on first aid.
5. Place the skillet with pizza dough over medium coals. Spread sauce around pizza dough.
6. Quickly add toppings and cover with cheese.
7. Cover with preheated lid. Cover lid with hot coals and cook until cheese has melted and crust begins to brown (5-10 min).
Tip: For an even quicker camp-friendly version, you can use flatbread instead of dough!